Friday 8 March 2019

My Shelf Needs Sorting

It really does.




I got into RPGs less than ten years ago, as there was an explosion - it seemed to me - in the popularity of both pdfs, print-on-demand and "luxury" printing. So I don't have a lot on my bookshelf to be honest, not in comparison to some I've seen over the years. I have a lot of pdfs, I've printed some for myself, but between the POD and luxury books I have very few print RPG books.

Some things need to go. I never really got The Shadow of Yesterday, it just didn't click, so it needs to find a new home. I read the first hundred pages of Playing At The World and enjoyed it, but damn is it heavy! And the type is tiny! I'm going to go back to it soon. It was a present, as was Rules Of Play, way back when I did an Open University course on games and game design. I don't think that I'll keep either of them in the long term, but think I could get something fun from finally reading both.

To the left of the shelf are some gaming-adjacent books, interesting things that I want to keep and think there's neat stuff to draw on. I have a reasonable selection of Lamentations of the Flame Princess stuff, and there are a few of the more recent releases that I want to get. They really need sorting through though.

I'm weighing things up I guess. Our house is in a state of flux at the moment. Marie Kondo came to Netflix and now we are seeing what sparks joy - that's a good thing, I think - but I find myself conflicted when it comes to my RPG books. I can see that there are some books I will never use, but they're cool. They're interesting to read, to reflect on. I have games that I want to run but can't see a situation when I'll get to (Night Witches).

Cyberpunk 2.0.2.0. is falling apart, but I've had it since forever. It has to stay.

It all needs sorting. Some of it needs reading. Some of it I hope to run. Some I'll offer up here.

Not shown: the notebooks, folders, in-trays, scraps of paper and other material from stuff I've mocked up and started. That's going to take a real while to work through...

No comments:

Post a Comment